New Year New Outlook
What is different with the coming of the New Year? The weather hasn’t changed. In fact, it’s even a bit colder. No nothing has really changed. So why is the anticipation of the New Year such a positive event? It seems everyone looks forward to it. But, then when it arrives no one knows what to do with it. Here are some thoughts on what the New Year really means to us.
1. It’s a clean slate for us. We can use the New Year to start over; we can toss aside things we didn’t complete or no longer want to complete. It’s a time to begin a fresh start.
2. It gives us a chance to look forward. All of a sudden we have an entire year to think about. We don’t need to look back. We are focused on looking ahead.
3. It’s a time to set new goals. Which goals you set are up to you. The key is that it’s a time when we think about change. We are willing to embrace new ideas; and we even take steps to change our lifestyle.
4. We start new things. It’s all about embracing the “new”. We’re willing to get rid of the old and take on new challenges. We are reborn.
5. We get back to a regular routine. With the holidays come stress. Our pace picks up; we enter a chaotic time in our lives; we pack more events in and see more people in a shorter period of time, than we do during the entire rest of the year. Now that that is over and the New Year has arrived, we can turn our life’s volume back down. Now that the added events and chaos are all over we can get back to our regular schedule.
6. We can be ourselves. The lofty expectations we place on ourselves, trying to be who we think we should be and who we think others want us to be, fall away. We can just be ourselves and we don’t have to worry about what others think.
7. We have nothing to worry about. For a brief time, we can live in a vacuum. We have no expectations nothing to focus on but our day to day schedule. It can be refreshing to be worry free.
Maybe the new year is about developing quality time to be ourselves. Why does it seem that the we allow the pressures in life to build as the year progresses? Maybe this year will be different. Right now we have a clean slate to fill in how we want. What are we waiting for?