Focusing Your Social Media
How do you use and focus social media for marketing? Do you use it like a shot gun or do you use it with the precision of a surgeon crafting out your plan for its use very carefully. I like to think that it is somewhere in between. The following areas are what I look for in using social media for marketing:
- Choose your social media wisely to access your audience. The playing field is continually changing. Younger audiences are moving more towards twitter and tumblr, and away from Facebook. Now the latest info out says Instagram is the fastest growing social media platform. http://marketingland.com/study-instagram-is-the-fastest-growing-social-network-top-brand-engagement-up-350-since-last-year-63602?utm_source=marketo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=mday&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonuq7JZKXonjHpfsX57uUpX6S2lMI%2F0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4FSMtmI%2BSLDwEYGJlv6SgFTbLCMbpx37gNXxU%3D
- Stay organized in using your social media. Use software like Hootsuite to manage your different social media. But, make sure you individualize your message to get the most out of each type of media you use. Compare the top 10 management tools at http://socialmediatoday.com/daniel-zeevi/1344346/top-10-social-media-management-tools
- Make sure your content works for the type of social media you are trying to use. Make sure you are combining the right mix of graphics, media and text. Also, most importantly, make sure you understand what the message is that you are trying to get across to your audience. Some thoughts on choosing the right platform can be found at http://www.vertical-web.com/what-social-media-platforms-are-right-for-your-business/
- Always be open to trying out new types of social media. Be aware of the trends and understand the changing terrain of social media. An interesting article on where social media is going in 2014 is at http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysondemers/2013/09/24/the-top-7-social-media-marketing-trends-that-will-dominate-2014/.
- But, probably the best advice is that social media always starts with good content. Go to http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Macys-Says-Social-Media-Strategy-Begins-with-Good-Content/1010351 for one well known retailer’s view of content strategy.
The bottom line is you really have to do your homework and stay informed. Social media is all about change, proper content, knowing your audience, and knowing where your audience goes to get its information.
Next up – My business model is broken?