How Do You Build a Dream?
When you close your eyes where do you picture yourself sitting, at your desk in the office or cube where you currently work; or do you see yourself miles away in another job, career or place. Sure, you can picture yourself for that fleeting moment in that new location. But, how do you get there? How would you even get from point a, where you currently are, to point z where you want to be. There are some steps you can take, small steps that when taken, put your dream in motion on the path to reality.
1. Keep the dream alive. Continue to think about your dream. Keep it bouncing around in your mind. Don’t forget about it.
2. A dream won’t become reality until it is on paper. You need to write your dream down somewhere. Have it handy where you can see it and touch it. For some people it’s a picture from a magazine, for others it’s a written statement. But have something tangible that you can touch and feel.
3. Dreams don’t happen overnight. Don’t think that your dream will come true overnight. Instead be prepared for it to take time to come through. A true dream doesn’t just go away because it doesn’t happen overnight, that’s what happens to simple wishes.
4. Sometimes dreams need a push. Think of what is the first step you need to take to move your dream forward. Is it getting more information? Taking a class or seminar? Introducing yourself to some new people? Applying for a new job?
5. Get help from the outside. Don’t just stay bottled up relying on yourself for information. Take a chance and ask for help from others around you. You’ll be amazed at the advice and help others are willing to give.
6. Verbalize your dream to someone. Try to describe your dream in words to someone else. They might help you fine tune your dream after listening to your description of what it is. Also, as you try to verbalize your dream you will better understand it and the steps needed to make it happen.
7. Real dreams thrive off of action. Any step that you take, no matter how small keeps the dream thriving and growing. Continue to take ongoing steps to fulfill your dream.
A dream can come true if you keep fresh in your mind, keep taking steps to move it forward, and keep trying to verbalize it to yourself and others. Don’t let your dream wither into an old wish, make it become reality.